hadoop-yarn-dev mailing list archives

From Junping Du <...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Question about YARN NodeManager and ApplicationMaster failures
Date Thu, 03 Mar 2016 13:34:41 GMT
With proper configuration, container (include AM) can still running when NM get failed. Please
check YARN-1336 for NM restart work preserving.
For AM failed (restart), after YARN-1489 (Work-preserving ApplicationMaster restart), the
container will not get killed when AM failed (within maximum attempts). However, like mentioned
by Steve, each application should figure out ways to wire new AM attempt with existing containers
and sync states (and most of them haven't done it yet.). The ongoing work for MAPREDUCE-6608
is an example.

Thanks,

Junping
From: Steve Loughran <stevel@hortonworks.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2016 1:16 PM
To: yarn-dev@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: Question about YARN NodeManager and ApplicationMaster failures

> On 3 Mar 2016, at 12:58, Dustin Cote <dcote@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
> -dev since this is more of a user question
>
> The NodeManager is the parent for the application master, so any containers
> (including application master containers) that are running where the failed
> NodeManager is located will die.  If an application master fails, then a
> new one is created up to your limit (set by
> yarn.resourcemanager.am.max-attempts).  The other containers associated
> with the application master are supposed to continue on and pick up the
> newly started application master.

Only if you tell yarn to keep containers over restart and the AM has the code to rebuild its
state. Most of AM's don't do this (MR, Tez, Spark, etc), as the state is hard to preserve
and rebuild.

See YARN-896 for all the details of things related to long-lived services

You can also put a reset window on AM failures, YARN-611.

Oh, and there's work-preserving NM restart, but that's another topic  ....