hadoop-yarn-dev mailing list archives

From Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vino...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Setting JIRA fix versions for 3.0.0 releases
Date Thu, 21 Jul 2016 21:32:09 GMT
> I really, really want a 3.0.0-alpha1 ASAP, since it's basically impossible for downstreams
to test incompat changes and new features without a release artifact. I've been doing test
builds, and branch-3.0.0-alpha1 is ready for an RC besides possibly this fix version issue.

Not arguing against the need for an alpha release, the question is if it can wait till after
2.8 gets done.

Orthogonally, do we have a report of the incompatible changes? Like the one I generated for
some of the branch-2 releases using late jdiff work from Li Lu etc. We should do this and
fix any inadvertant incompatibilities. Without seeing this list of incompatibilities, why
even make an alpha release and force downstream components to discover issues what can be
identified through running reports.

Similarly the list of features we are enabling in this alpha would be good - may be update
the Roadmap wiki. Things like classpath-isolation which were part of the original 3.x roadmap
are still not done.

> * Community bandwidth isn't zero-sum. This particularly applies to people working on
features that are only present in trunk, like EC, shell script rewrite, etc.

A bunch of us are going to be busy with finishing 2.8.0. It isn’t zero-sum, but it predicates
those of us involved with 2.8.0 from looking at it, even though we are very interested in
doing so.

> Longer-term, I assume the 2.x line is not ending with 2.8. So we'd still have the issue
of things committed for 2.9.0 that will be appearing for the first timein 3.0.0-alpha1. Assuming
a script exists to fix up 2.9 JIRAs, it's only incrementally more work to also fix up 2.8
and other unreleased versions too.

Obviously, I am not making the case that this issue won’t happen ever. In fact, this already
happened with the parallel 2.6.x and 2.7.x releases. And we precisely avoided major confusion
there by lining up 2.7.2 behind 2.6.3 etc.

+Vinod