hadoop-yarn-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <bus...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Setting JIRA fix versions for 3.0.0 releases
Date Thu, 21 Jul 2016 21:41:54 GMT
On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 4:32 PM, Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli
<vinodkv@apache.org> wrote:
>> I really, really want a 3.0.0-alpha1 ASAP, since it's basically impossible for downstreams
to test incompat changes and new features without a release artifact. I've been doing test
builds, and branch-3.0.0-alpha1 is ready for an RC besides possibly this fix version issue.

> Not arguing against the need for an alpha release, the question is if it can wait till
after 2.8 gets done.

> Orthogonally, do we have a report of the incompatible changes? Like the one I generated
for some of the branch-2 releases using late jdiff work from Li Lu etc. We should do this
and fix any inadvertant incompatibilities. Without seeing this list of incompatibilities,
why even make an alpha release and force downstream components to discover issues what can
be identified through running reports.

I can come up with this, atleast for Source / Binary API compatibility,
provided folks don't mind if I use the Java API Compliance Checker[1]
instead of jdiff.

I'm already familiar with quickly using it, esp with Audience
Annotations from my work in HBase.

Do you want this check from some particular branch-2 release? It
matters since the releases along branch-2 have themselves had some
noise[2].

[1]: https://github.com/lvc/japi-compliance-checker
[2]: http://abi-laboratory.pro/java/tracker/timeline/hadoop/

--