hadoop-yarn-dev mailing list archives

From Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vino...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 3.0.0 RC0
Date Tue, 21 Nov 2017 20:59:13 GMT
>>> - Cannot enable new UI in YARN because it is under a non-default
>>> compilation flag. It should be on by default.
>>>

>> The yarn-ui profile has always been off by default, AFAIK. It's documented
>> to turn it on in BUILDING.txt for release builds, and we do it in
>> create-release.
>>
>> IMO not a blocker. I think it's also more of a dev question (do we want to
>> do this on every YARN build?) than a release one.
>
> 	-1 on making yarn-ui always build.
>
> 	For what is effectively an optional component (the old UI is still there), it’s heavy
dependency requirements make it a special burden outside of the Docker container.

Thanks for the background on this.

I got schooled offline too about the heaviness of the dependencies.

> If it can be changed such that it either always downloads the necessary bits (regardless
of the OS/chipset!) and/or doesn’t kill the maven build if those bits can’t be found
(i.e., truly optional), then I’d be less opposed.  (and, actually, quite pleased because
then the docker image build would be significantly faster.)

This is a good idea (to the extend I understand your proposal). Long term, we'd like YARN
UI2 to replace current UI, so it shouldn't be optionally build and hence the build should
be fast. Let me track this separately as a non-blocker.

Thanks
+Vinod