hadoop-yarn-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Yang <ey...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Making submarine to different release model like Ozone
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2019 22:05:54 GMT

From: Wangda Tan <wheeleast@gmail.com>
Date: Friday, February 1, 2019 at 10:52 AM
To: Eric Yang <eyang@hortonworks.com>
Cc: Weiwei Yang <abvclouds@gmail.com>, Xun Liu <neliuxun@163.com>, Hadoop Common
<common-dev@hadoop.apache.org>, "yarn-dev@hadoop.apache.org" <yarn-dev@hadoop.apache.org>,
Hdfs-dev <hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org>, "mapreduce-dev@hadoop.apache.org" <mapreduce-dev@hadoop.apache.org>
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Making submarine to different release model like Ozone

Thanks everyone for sharing thoughts!

Eric, appreciate your suggestions. But there are many examples to have separate releases,
like Hive's storage API, OZone, etc. For loosely coupled sub-projects, it gonna be great (at
least for most of the users) to have separate releases so new features can be faster consumed
and iterated. From above feedbacks from developers and users, I think it is also what people
want.

Another concern you mentioned is Submarine is aligned with Hadoop project goals. From feedbacks
we can see, it attracts companies continue using Hadoop to solve their ML/DL requirements,
it also created a good feedback loop, many issues faced, and some new functionalities added
by Submarine went back to Hadoop. Such as localization files, directories. GPU topology related
enhancement, etc.

We will definitely use this sub-project opportunity to fast grow both Submarine and Hadoop,
try to get fast release cycles for both of the projects. And for your suggestion about Apache
incubator, we can reconsider it once Submarine becomes a more independent project, now it
is still too small and too much overhead to go through the process, I don't want to stop the
fast-growing community for months to go through incubator process for now.

I really hope my comment can help you reconsider the veto. :)

Thanks,
Wangda

On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 9:39 AM Eric Yang <eyang@hortonworks.com<mailto:eyang@hortonworks.com>>