hadoop-yarn-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Moving branch-2 to java 8
Date Mon, 04 Feb 2019 18:11:01 GMT

On 2 Feb 2019, at 00:57, Konstantin Shvachko <shv.hadoop@gmail.com<mailto:shv.hadoop@gmail.com>>
wrote:

Just to make sure we are on the same page, as the subject of this thread is too generic and
confusing.
The proposal is to move branch-2 Jenkins builds such as precommit to run tests on openJDK-8.
We do not want to break Java 7 source compatibility. The sources and releases will still depend
on Java 7.
We don't see test failures discussed in HADOOP-15711 when we run them locally with Oracle
Java 7.

Thanks,
--Konst

Given the tests aren't working today, the risk that an openjdk 8 test run hides a problem
which would show up on openjdk 7 has to consider that at least openjdk8 will run the tests.

One thing I would like to be confident is that at least the compile phase of all the source
(including generated source) is on jdk7, and its only the test run which switches JVM. Can
we do that?