hadoop-yarn-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Jonathan Hung <jyhung2...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Merging YARN-8200 to branch-3.0 and branch-2
Date Fri, 19 Apr 2019 00:12:02 GMT
Sorry for the delay, had to deprioritize this. Hoping to get to this next week.

Jonathan

________________________________
From: Jim Brennan <james.brennan@verizonmedia.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 18, 2019 7:28 AM
To: Jonathan Hung
Cc: yarn-dev@hadoop.apache.org; mapreduce-dev@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Merging YARN-8200 to branch-3.0 and branch-2

Hi Jonathan,

Hi Jim, we have not tested rolling upgrade. I don’t foresee this being an issue, but we’ll
try it out and report back.

Any update on this?
Jim


On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 2:16 AM Jonathan Hung <jyhung2357@gmail.com<mailto:jyhung2357@gmail.com>>
wrote:
Hi Jim, we have not tested rolling upgrade. I don’t foresee this being an issue, but we’ll
try it out and report back.

Jonathan

________________________________
From: Jim Brennan <james.brennan@verizonmedia.com<mailto:james.brennan@verizonmedia.com>>
Sent: Tuesday, April 2, 2019 9:17 AM
To: Jonathan Hung
Cc: yarn-dev@hadoop.apache.org<mailto:yarn-dev@hadoop.apache.org>; mapreduce-dev@hadoop.apache.org<mailto:mapreduce-dev@hadoop.apache.org>
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Merging YARN-8200 to branch-3.0 and branch-2

Thanks for working on this!
One concern for us is support for a rolling upgrade.  If we are running a cluster based on
branch-2.8, will we be able to do a rolling upgrade (no cluster down-time) to a branch containing
these changes?  Have you tested rolling upgrades?

Thanks.
Jim

On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 2:14 PM Jonathan Hung <jyhung2357@gmail.com<mailto:jyhung2357@gmail.com>>
wrote:
Hello devs,

Starting a discuss thread to merge resource types/native GPU scheduling
support to branch-3.0 and branch-2. The resource types work was done in
trunk~branch-3.0 and GPU support done in trunk~branch-3.1, so the proposal
is to merge GPU support into branch-3.0 and both resource types/GPU support
to branch-2.

Internally we've been running resource types/GPU support off a fork of
branch-2.9.0 in a > 300 node GPU cluster for a few months which has worked
well. Also for completeness we verified that everything going into branch-2
also exists in branch-3.0.

The specific list of patches to merge is in feature branch
YARN-8200.branch3 (for branch-3.0) and feature branch YARN-8200 (for
branch-2). Full patches containing the YARN-8200.branch3 -> branch-3.0 diff
and YARN-8200 -> branch-2 diff have been posted to YARN-8200 jira.

If there's no issues from the community I'll start a merge vote next week.
Thanks.

Jonathan Hung

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message