hama-user mailing list archives

From "Edward J. Yoon" <edwardy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: evaluating Hama
Date Fri, 10 Sep 2010 02:47:31 GMT
Hello,

> 1) What is the status of the project, specifically the graph processing part
> (Angrapa?). Is it sufficiently stable to be used? Although this is an
> academic research project, it would be better to work on a stable one.

At present, we're focussing on a framework for more general-purpose
BSP computing, so yet far from the graph processing framework such as
Google Pregel.

We have a release plan for 0.2.0 version and we're working on it.The
release 0.2.0 will include:

 * BSP computing framework (no fault tolerant mechanism, no data
input-output API)
 * and its examples

> 2) I haven't come across any installation/building steps for Hama. How to
> integrate with HDFS/HBase?

We'll create a input-output system that can be used to process data.
You can think it as a M/R computing framework on HDFS/HBase.

> 3) Are there more extensive performance tests say w.r.t the latest branch of
> development? Do they have better performance?

Not yet.

> 4) Can the data assigned to each partition (cluster) be split according to
> some condition i.e. can it be controlled unlike a MR split?

Do you mean, whether it can assign a task to slaves according to other
condition (not based on local)? Then, no.

The all splits should be loaded and computed locally. Otherwise, it
will cause meaningless huge data-copy overhead among servers.

Thanks :)

--
Best Regards, Edward J. Yoon
edwardyoon@apache.org