hama-user mailing list archives

From Leonidas Fegaras <fega...@cse.uta.edu>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] A query system for BSP processing
Date Fri, 24 Aug 2012 12:01:51 GMT
Thank you very much for your interest and for testing my system.
It seems that my release was premature: It worked for some random data
but didn't for some others. It's a minor logical error that I will try
to fix in the next few days. The problem is with the stopping condition
of the repeat expression that calculates the new pagerank from the old.
It must stop if ALL peers reach  the specified precision. This is done
by having those peers that need to continue send a message to others to
continue. It seems that now when all peers agree at the same time, the
program works fine. But if one finishes sooner, instead of continuing
the repeat loop, it runs away to the next BSP step that follows the
repeat, then exits prematurely and the system hangs. The casting errors
are due to the run-away peers executing the wrong BSP steps reading
wrong messages. Queries without repeat though are OK.
By the way, I had a problem exchanging large amount of data during sync
(I discussed this with Thomas).  My solution was to to break a BSP
superstep into multiple substeps so that each substep can handle a max
number of messages. Of course my program has to collect all messages in
a vector in memory. When the vector is too big, it is spilled in a local
file. This moved the problem from the Hama side to my side and allowed
me to handle larger data, especially in joins. I think this problem of
exchanging large amount of data during a superstep is currently a
weakness of Hama.
Leonidas

On 08/24/2012 04:15 AM, Thomas Jungblut wrote:
> BTW, should we feature this on our website?
>
> 2012/8/24 Thomas Jungblut <thomas.jungblut@gmail.com>
>
>> Hi Leonidas!
>>
>> I have to admit that I have known what is going on (and had to keep
>> silent), but I have to say: Thank you very much!
>> This will help many people writing BSPs in a more easier way.
>>
>> Of course this is not as fast as the native BSP code, Hive and Pig suffer
>> from the same problems in MR.
>> But it gives people the opportunity to develop faster and get their code
>> in production with just a minor time expense.
>>
>> And I think, that we will help you gladly on improving the BSP part of
>> your framework. At least I would do ;)
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> 2012/8/24 Edward J. Yoon <edwardyoon@apache.org>
>>
>> Here's my few test results on Oracle BDA (40G/s infiniband network).
>>> It seems slow than our PageRank example.
>>>
>>> P.S., There are some errors so I couldn't test large-scale.
>>> (java.lang.ClassCastException: hadoop.mrql.MR_int cannot be cast to
>>> hadoop.mrql.Inv and java.lang.Error: Cannot clear a non-materialized