hama-user mailing list archives

From Steven van Beelen <smcvbee...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Possible Aggregator Problem
Date Wed, 17 Apr 2013 11:00:38 GMT
The values in my case are the DoubleWritable values each vertice has and
the aggregators aggregate on.
My tests showed that, when the aggregator was set to AverageAggregator, the
average of all the vertice values from the past compute step were returned.
Actually, AverageAggregator should return the average difference of all the
old-new value pairs of every vertice instead of the mean.
The average difference is then used to check whether convergence is
reached, which is relevant for all task ofcourse.

Hence, the convergence point, for which the Aggregator is used, will not be
reached.
This thus makes it so that the algorithm will just run the maximum number
of iterations set (30 iterations on the PageRank example) in every case.
I experienced the same with my own PageRank implementation.

I think it has something to do with the finalizeAggregation step taken.
Next to that, both the 'aggregate(VERTEX vertex, M value)' and
'aggregate(VERTEX vertex, M oldValue, M newValue)' methods are called every
time, were one would think only the second (with old/new values) would
suffice.
Because of this, the global variable 'absoluteDifference' in the
'AbsDiffAggregator' class is overwriten/overruled by the first aggregate.
Additionally, if one would make its own Aggregation class in the same
fashion as AbsDiffAggregator and AverageAggregator, but leave out the
'aggregate(VERTEX vertex, M value)', my output turned out to be 0.0000
every time.

I hope I made myself clear.
Regards