hawq-dev mailing list archives

From Xiang Sheng <xsh...@pivotal.io>
Subject Re: Confusion around HAWQ versions in JIRA
Date Wed, 06 Jul 2016 08:45:59 GMT
It is indeed better to keep the output of SQL 'select version();' with the
hawq version.

Since the suffix '-incubating' indicates the project property, we should
keep it before the project promoted to apache standard.
So I think the output of the 'select version();' should add the suffix. And
obviously 4 digit number with suffix '-incubating' is more reasonable.

On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 4:27 PM, Ming Li <mli@pivotal.io> wrote:

> As for the version with postfix '-incubating', if after our project be
> promoted to apache standard project, the version number still grows, so
> from the perspective of service, it seems the postfix is useless.
>
> On the other hand, the output of SQL 'SELECT version();' doesn't include
> any
>  '-incubating',  it is better to keep it same with the hawq version.
>
> So I prefer to use just 4 digit number without any postfix '-incubating'.
>

> On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 4:09 PM, Hong Wu <xunzhangthu@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > For simplify, I prefer using the 4-digit mode.
> >
> > Best
> > xunzhang

> > > +1 for consolidating  the version.
> > >
> > > For 4-digit number, from the concept described above, I think 4 digit
> > make
> > > more sense. And from it, user can easily know whether specific upgrade
> > > process needed or just binary switch if fine.
> > > Based on that, for the "2.0.0", "2.0.0-incubating" or
> > "2.0.0.0-incubating".
> > > I prefer to 2.0.0.0-incubating since it would be consistent in JIRA and
> > > code.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Jiali

> consolidate