hawq-dev mailing list archives

From Ruilong Huo <r...@pivotal.io>
Subject Re: Confusion around HAWQ versions in JIRA
Date Wed, 06 Jul 2016 06:35:21 GMT
I would prefer the option 1 to keep the 4-digit versions. This mechanism
address the compatible issues of library in a more proper manner.

PS, here are some background of the hawq versioning policy which might help:
Postgres based systems, including GPDB and HAWQ, have
the notion of "MODULE_MAGIC" which is intended for the
purpose of guaranteeing version compatibility.  In addition
to the "MAGIC NUMBER", defined as the Major.Minor version
, GPDB and HAWQ also have the notion of a "MAGIC
PRODUCT" which GPDB uses to differentiate itself from
Postgres and provide clear messages regarding "this
library was built against Postgres" this mechanism
could be easily employed to differentiate HAWQ and GPDB
and allow basing the "MAGIC NUMBER" off of the HAWQ version
 instead of the GPDB version as it does today.

Best regards,
Ruilong Huo