Hi,

   We are using HAWQ 2.0.0 in one of our product evaluation and we are considerably new with the technology. The HAWQ uses gporca 1.627 to come up with the execution plan. We tried analysing Query 21 of TPC-H benchmarking downloaded from here. We used TPC-H scale factor 1 and run it against a 5 node docker cluster. In Query 21, the table lineitem is referred three times. We expect gporca to apply the Common Subexpression elimination as mentioned in this video. But it did not apply. We manually modified the query to use CTE and found that it executes faster than the original one. I have attached both the queries and the execution plan generated for them.

I will be very glad if someone can clarify why gporca behaves like this. I hope it is the correct forum to raise the question. If it is not, please direct me where to raise the question. Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Saravana
Technical Lead
Axiomatics AB