hbase-user mailing list archives

From stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Blog post about when to use HBase
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2008 20:47:59 GMT
Ning Li wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
> HBase doesn't support indexes on non-primary-key values or
> secondary/text indexes today. But should HBase support any of them in
> the future?

Well, it does have a text index.  Someone (smile), added a nice table
value indexing feature using Lucene and MapReduce.

Indexes on non-primary key values and text indices would be a nice
feature to have (though I've not heard anyone ask for it as yet).  I
would think that it would be a columnfamily/store-based feature that
folks could enable/disable.   Would be sweet if such indices implemented
an Interface so we could plugin different indexing engine
implementations.   The API would have to change to support the new
query-types but  I'm not sure how.

Could this feature be first developed apart from hbase in an application
that acted as an hbase facade adding puts and deletes to an index as we
went?  Or, hbase allows specifying the class that implements
regionserver -- could facade current regionserver with an indexing
regionserver.

St.Ack