hbase-user mailing list archives

From stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Blog post about when to use HBase
Date Mon, 17 Mar 2008 19:08:08 GMT
Ning Li wrote:
>> Or, hbase allows specifying the class that implements
>> regionserver -- could facade current regionserver with an indexing
>> regionserver.
>>

> Could you elaborate? Is this the coupled approach? Meaning
> each region maintains a corresponding index - on the same
> node and almost-synchronized?

The coupled approach would be modifying the current regionserver
implemenation to add keeping-up an index.

The suggestion above is less tightly-coupled.  It suggests that you
subclass regionserver to add the new facility.   Your subclass would be
called, say, IndexingRegionServer.   To have hbase use this regionserver
implementation instead of the current
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer, you'd set the
hbase-default.xml property hbase.regionserver.class to be your
implementation instead.

I was just pointing out this as an option.

Tightly-coupled with the feature disabled by default with a simple
switch to turn on the facility is what would make most happy I'm guessing.

Thanks,
St.Ack