hbase-user mailing list archives

From "Charlie O'Keefe" <charli...@gmail.com>
Subject Hosting a new web app on Hadoop?
Date Fri, 07 Mar 2008 17:37:12 GMT
It seems like I've seen a lot of mentions of running large data analysis
jobs on Hadoop clusters, but I can't recall reading anything about hosting a
website on a Hadoop cluster.

I'm just starting to learn about this project but my reaction to reading
about Hadoop is, "Hey, I'm designing a web application and I'm concerned
that by using a mysql backend, it will be a challenge should I need to scale
it. Hey, here's a project that is designed to scale elastically on computing
clusters, and it includes both a scalable execution environment and a
scalable database! Why not skip mysql and design my backend around HBase?"

So how about it? I'd be interested in hearing from someone with some
expertise in Hadoop. Does this idea make sense? Or is there something about
Hadoop that makes it less than ideal for a new web application project that
thinks it might scale to lots of data and users?

I am also very curious about best practices for schema design (or whatever
the HBase equivalent of a schema is), and how best to handle situations in
which there are many complex relationships between the entities being
represented.
Thanks for any help!

Charlie