hbase-user mailing list archives

From "Ning Li" <ning.li...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Blog post about when to use HBase
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2008 20:05:14 GMT
Hi Brian,

HBase doesn't support indexes on non-primary-key values or
secondary/text indexes today. But should HBase support any of them in
the future?

Without indexes on non-primary-key values, the query execution is
scan-based. Map/Reduce will help, but the queries won't be real-time.

As to secondary/text indexes, does HBase need a coupled secondary
index? Or is a de-coupled, relatively independent secondary index
sufficient?

What are people's takes on this?

Ning