hbase-user mailing list archives

From stack <saint....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Regions Offline
Date Fri, 18 Apr 2008 06:38:10 GMT

>> Hi
>>
>>     My system is quite simple:
>>     - two (one quad core, one dual core) servers with 2GB mem and 150 GB
>> allocated to dfs.

Whats do you have for replication level in your hdfs?  Default is 3.  If you
have two servers only, thats odd.

>>     - I use it to crawl multiple supports but mainly filesystems and
>> save the results onto hbase (not too many files < 100.000 but rows can
get
>> easily to 30 MB each)
>>
>>     I constantly getting NullPointerExceptions (on the client caused by
>> NotServingRegionExceptions on regionserver) when creating tables or
>> RegionOfflineExceptions when doing puts or sometimes just time outs.

Tell us more about these.  Paste in the stacktraces.  Please enable DEBUG
logging (See FAQ for how).

>>     When started with hbase I developed in 'local' mode, I then migrated
>> to a small dev 2 servers cluster (weaker than production is now) where I
>> tested the functionality, and it worked fine but, my bad, due to pressing
>> scheduling I didn't do any real load tests, so the system is now
>> continuously going under in production. I've only been able to do a full
>> crawl by resetting the cluster to one node and putting it in 'local'
mode.

>>     My question is what can cause regions to be offline in
>> regionservers?
As Bryan said, it shouldn't be happening (There was a case a while back
where it could happen but was fixed in 0.1.0 -- perhaps there is another
path that provokes this condition).

>>     I ask so that I can investigate the matter further but having a
>> starting point.

Get your table all onlined -- run the little method in MetaUtils to online
any offline regions if running 'enable table' in HQL doesn't do it for you
-- and then enable DEBUG and let it run.  If region goes offline, send us
logs from regionservers and master.

One other thing to consider is filehandles.  Are you running w/ the usual
default of 1024?  If so, things will fail in odd ways if you have upward of
tens of regions.

St.Ack