hbase-user mailing list archives

From "Jean-Daniel Cryans" <jdcry...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Question about how queries are distributed
Date Mon, 04 Aug 2008 01:56:30 GMT
Leon,

The HBase Architecture page in the wiki does give this kind of information,
specifically here:
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hbase/HbaseArchitecture#metadata and since
HBase is a Bigtable clone, reading it's paper also gives useful information:
http://labs.google.com/papers/bigtable.html

To make it short, the client queries the .META. table to find the users
tables regions to which it puts and gets data. Thrift only acts a as
decorator on the Java HBase client.

Until Zookeeper is integrated in HBase (like Chubby for Bigtable), the
Master is a SPOF but should not have any scalability-related problem.

Hope this helps,

J-D