hbase-user mailing list archives

From stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Multi get/put
Date Mon, 04 Aug 2008 21:19:58 GMT
Marcus Herou wrote:
> ..
> Would you call it "safe" to start developing on 0.2 if we will use the code
> in production in October ? I can live with changes of interfaces and such
> but if the kernel of HBase itself will be unstable so there is potential
> dataloss I'm getting a little more worried. When do you plan that 0.2 is
> final ?

For October, would suggest you plan on 0.3.0.

0.2.0RC2 should be going out in the next day or so.

We need to put up a proposal for folks to discuss and vote on, but
chatting on IRC, current thought is for 0.3.0 to have a short
development cycle and come out soon after 0.2.0.

> Yesterday my first successful ORM test cases for HBase went through in which
> the batching stuff would be extremely helpful
>
> I have many cases where I need to batch data in and out of HBase. Searching
> is one: I coupled HBase to SOLR whenever I want to retrieve data by query.
> HBase is only scanning which is'nt the fastest way if you have zillions of
> rows :) Lucene is a good indexing system already but it is'nt very easy to
> make it scale along with HBase.
>
> I would like to have the case that whenever I add a HBase machine I as well
> add indexing speed, so...we are building an indexing system which will use
> HBase. HBase is great for this since the row keys are sorted. < > and =
> queries will be piece of a cake. I will release both HBaseORM and HBaseIndex
> as OpenSource whenever I have removed the company deps.
>
> I would gladly contribute these stuff in a contrib source tree.

Marcus, this is great stuff.  I would encourage you to do your
development of the ORM and index out in the open (Feel free to use the
hbase wiki and the hbase mailing lists to lay out ideas/plans and to
solicit opinions).  From what I hear, you are not the only gentleperson
trying to figure these issues.  Doing your dev in the open, you might
get some useful feedback and even some help.

Also, file issues against hbase for any functionality you need to make
your ORM and index happen.

Thanks,
St.Ack

>>> http://www.tailsweep.com/