hbase-user mailing list archives

From stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Issue with NotServingRegionException
Date Tue, 05 Aug 2008 20:54:08 GMT
Tim Sell wrote:

> I understand until recently the logs were filled with warnings about
> this during every split while a region was temporarily offline so to
> speak? it would figure itself out once the region was opened, but
> logging these warnings was removed because it was confusing people?

No.  They are still there.  They are logged at DEBUG level unless we
exhaust retries.  Then you'll get a NSRE out on your client as an error
(That said, they are showing in your logs here because they are logged
at INFO level by hadoop ipc).

> This isn't one of those warnings, it's the only
> NotServingRegionException in my logs.
> I'm using this morning's trunk.
>
> I've attached my master and region server logs, if anyone can help. It
> happens around the 2008-08-05 12:06 mark.
>
> I added some blank lines to help you find where the activity stopped.
> (there is about a 30 minute gap in the region server logs afterwards
> as there were no more input to be compacted, split, etc).

I took a look.  Seems fine.

As Andrew asks, the thrift client log would be handy....

But this in your second message is disturbing:

08/08/05 13:56:38 DEBUG client.HConnectionManager$TableServers:
reloading table servers because: HRegionInfo was null or empty in
.META.

We're stuck trying to get .META. info but some rows are damaged; have
null content.

For sure you are at TRUNK from this morning?  I thought we printed out
all that was non-empty from the row to give us a clue which row is busted.

What happens if you try and scan using the shell?

 > scan '.META.'

St.Ack