hbase-user mailing list archives

From stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Insertion and timestamps test
Date Sat, 09 Aug 2008 03:15:58 GMT
Jean-Adrien wrote:
> Despite the VERSIONS parameter of the columns (3) it seems that all versions
> are stored.

Yeah.  I just confirmed that VERSIONS is not respected doing basic puts
in shell.  I made HBASE-808 to cover its fixing.

> Question: is there some garbage collector process that removes the old
> versions ? if yes, when does it take place ?

Yes. At compaction time, versions beyond MAX_VERSIONS (and older than
configured TTL) are removed.

> It seems that the row are not inserted. Querying from shell:
>

> # SHELL
>
> hbase(main):004:0> scan 'proxy-0.2'
> ROW                          COLUMN+CELL
> 0 row(s) in 0.2030 seconds

Playing in the shell, I did not see this behavior; the new insert showed
up.  Maybe its something to do w/ the number of inserts you've done.
Let me try and reproduce on my side (Made issue to cover the work:
HBASE-809).

> I tried other tests, replacing only one column, using an existing timestamp
> to modify one single value, inserting past values, and so on... My
> conclusion is either I don't understand the general behaviour of that, or I
> make a bad usage of the API.

Your use of the API looks proper.  Looks like hbase bugs around
timestamping.
> Thanks for your work, and if someone has more information about timestamps
> and designed behaviour, I'm very interested in it.

Thank you for taking the time to write up the problem in so much helpful
detail.

St.Ack