hbase-user mailing list archives

From "Ning Li" <ning.li...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Multi get/put
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2008 15:42:38 GMT
> How does this work with regard to TTL and cell versions?

The trunk snapshot we based the work on does not support TTL. We'll
add the support when porting to the latest version.

> Does you have to do a rewrite of the lucene index at compaction time?  Or
> just call optimize?  (I suppose its the former if you need to clean up
> 'References' as per below where you talk of splits)

What do you mean by "a rewrite of the lucene index"? Right now,
optimize is called. But we'll experiment with maybeMerge to allow more
flexible compaction policies. I.e. so we don't have to merge all the
files for every compaction. References are taken care of in the
customized Directory implementation.

> What do you mean by 'dramatic' in the above?  This is a sweet feature.  That
> its slow on first implementation is OK.  Are you thinking its so slow, its
> not functional?

Right now, the search performance is more than an order of magnitude
slower primarily because of the random read performance in HDFS...

> Regards your 'on the other hand' above, thats a good point.  Have you
> verified that if a regionerver is running on a datanode, that the lucene
> index is written local?  Would be interesting to know.

That's HDFS's policy. See HDFS's FSNamesystem.getAdditionalBlock.

Cheers,
Ning