hbase-user mailing list archives

From "Yair Even-Zohar" <ya...@revenuescience.com>
Subject RE: Deleting old versions from a table
Date Wed, 15 Oct 2008 16:56:22 GMT
Seems like you and Jim Kellerman are both correct (his reply is that it
is in millisec)

The timeTotLive (ttl) is a long in the HStore and is represented in
millisecs in HStore but I also found in the code

  if (ttl != HConstants.FOREVER)
      this.ttl *= 1000;

so I could only assume the parameter is passed to the HColumnDescriptor
in seconds.

Please notice that " int 	getTimeToLive()" returns an int and not
long. Also, "setTimeToLive(int timeToLive) ".

As far as documentation, I pretty much looked everywhere and couldn't
find any reference to the granularity. It would have been sufficient if
the parameter name was changed. That is, instead of:
setTimeToLive(int timeToLive)
use
setTimeToLive(int timeToLiveInSec)

Additionally, adding this data as a comment for the setter /getter at
HColumnDescriptor would be sufficient as it will be reflected in the api
docs.

Thanks
-Yair