hbase-user mailing list archives

From Ian Smith <iansm...@acm.org>
Subject Re: Hbase ORM any one interested?
Date Mon, 27 Oct 2008 13:44:48 GMT
I guess this is a popular idea. :-)

I've built what I call an "object -> cloud" mapping that works with
Hbase. It stores everything as json so if you manage to build a
binding for it (through Hbase's thrift interface) it should work with
any language.  I say "object -> cloud" because the idea of the
software is to expose to other people some of the features and
limitations of a column oriented database, not just have them use the
same old relational models and end up getting nasty surprises later.

It was designed for read-heavy, interactive applications and
prototyping. For the latter, it has a simple "disk file" version so
people can get the app working before sending it to an hbase cluster.
It allows you to have multiple searchable "columns" by building it's
own indexes off to the side.  It tries, for example, to expose the
idea that this is not cheap by making people select the searchable
items in their data.

If folks are interested, please drop me a note. I  need to make a case
that this software should be open sourced and several emails from
people about how they might use it would help.

thanks
ian

ps. If anybody has an hbase cluster that has some idle time I'd love
to get some performance numbers... my current unemployment makes
renting EC2 nodes a bit out of bounds...