hbase-user mailing list archives

From "Jonathan Gray" <jl...@streamy.com>
Subject RE: Question on update
Date Tue, 04 Nov 2008 19:06:10 GMT
No, you can (and should) just write the entire object each time, at least in
my experience.

You will create new versions of the Cells that you are overwriting with the
same value, but you will definitely be paying less of a cost than you would
with requiring a read and diff before each write.

JG

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Dagaev [mailto:michael.dagaev@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 10:32 AM
To: hbase-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Question on update

Hi, all

    Let there is a row in People table. The column family Details
consists of name, address, and email.
Now I have a Person object which corresponds to this row. This object
contains name and address
but email is null.

    In order to update the row with the new data from the Person
object. I have to read the row, compare it
with my object and store only the difference. Is it correct?

Thank you for your cooperation,
M.