hbase-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: TableNotDisabledException
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2008 08:59:06 GMT
Hi Edward,

If you retry the disable and then the drop commands again
after a few seconds' pause, I suspect they will succeed. Or
if not, if you wait some more and try again then they will
succeed. Sometimes it takes a while for the table to go
fully offline. For example, perhaps a scanner has a lease
open on the table, that sort of thing.

When the shell tells you this:

    > INFO client.HBaseAdmin: Disabled randgbpff

it is really saying to you that the master accepted the disable
request, not necessarily that the table has been fully
disabled. Perhaps this can be considered a shell bug. Perhaps
the shell should busy wait and confirm the table has been
fully disabled before returning. I think there can be a
difference of opinion on that point.

If you find that you are unable to disable a table even after
multiple attempts and many minutes, please write back with
more information. I think then that would be a bug.

    - Andy