hbase-user mailing list archives

From "tim robertson" <timrobertson...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene from HBase - raw values in Lucene index or not?
Date Wed, 17 Dec 2008 21:33:36 GMT
Hi St.Ack,

I'm in Copenhagen, Denmark - you?
Would be great to have some people interested in helping / offering
advice - thank you for the interest.
I will start getting the code in a better state and get a wiki going.

Hmmm... most of the stuff I have come across in my work requires
"balancing" rather than ranking as such - I presume they are
different.  E.g. I get 100,000 points to display on a map but the
mapping server works only for 1000 points in real time.  Therefore we
need to limit to 1000, but we want them "geospatially balanced" and
not all bunched up in one corner of the map to be a little more
representative of the spread.  Typically we have tackled this with
grouping to grids.  E.g. a map generated with the OGC WMS protocol:
http://geoserver.gbif.org/wms?bbox=-90,-30,90,60&styles=,&Format=image/png&request=GetMap&layers=gbif:countries,gbif:gbifDensityLayer&width=550&height=250&srs=EPSG:4326&FILTER=(%20)(%3CFilter%3E%3CAnd%3E%3CPropertyIsEqualTo%3E%3CPropertyName%3Etype%3C/PropertyName%3E%3CLiteral%3E1%3C/Literal%3E%3C/PropertyIsEqualTo%3E%3CPropertyIsEqualTo%3E%3CPropertyName%3Econcept%3C/PropertyName%3E%3CLiteral%3E13534258%3C/Literal%3E%3C/PropertyIsEqualTo%3E%3C/And%3E%3C/Filter%3E)&bgcolor=0x7391AD
Of course I wondered about MapReduce generating all the images, but
there are way too many tiles to process for all zoom levels for all
filters.

Baah - I am abusing the list to talk about Lucene indexes... sorry.

Tim