hbase-user mailing list archives

From "yonatan maman" <yonat...@gmail.com>
Subject how to implement Entity-attribute-value_model in HBase?
Date Thu, 18 Dec 2008 13:35:42 GMT
Hi all suppose that I have this RDBM table
(Entity-attribute-value_model<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entity-attribute-value_model>
):

col1: entityID

col2: attributeName

col3: value

and I want to use HBASe due to scaling issues:

I know that the only way to access Hbase table is using a single primary
"row key" (cursor). You can get a cursor for a specific "row key", and
iterate the rows one-by-one .

The issue is, that in my case, I want to be able to iterate on all 3
columns. (in RDBM I would do index on all three columns, so I can do a query
on all the columns)  for example :

   - for a given an entityID I want to get all its attriutes and values
   - for a give attributeName and value I want to all the entitiIDS ...

so one idea I had is to build one Hbase table that will hold the data (table
DATA, with entityID as primary index), and 2 "index" tables one with
attributeName as a primary key, and the other one with value

each index table will hold a list of pointers (entityIDs) for the DATA
table.

Is it a reasonable approach ? or is is an 'abuse' of Hbase concepts ?

10x

         Yonatan