hbase-user mailing list archives

From "Jonathan Gray" <jl...@streamy.com>
Subject RE: Hadoop Summit 2009 - Call for submissions
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2009 20:59:11 GMT
Following some discussion on IRC, I'd like to propose giving a presentation
for the Hadoop Summit.  JD is also interested.

My current idea would be to title it something like "HBase Goes Realtime" or
something about HBase being Web-ready.

Would include discussion of:

- Improvements in the (released at this point) 0.20 and potentially
0.21/0.22 releases by June.
- Specifically those related to performance and the use of HBase for
realtime serving of a web site.  (New file format, cell caching, block
caching, indexes, rpc, whatever else we tackle by the summit).
- Use of HBase in production at Streamy.  We're using it in a number of
different ways and should be able to cover most of the issues related to
using HBase for the web.  Specifically, we'd touch on the migration from
relational databases, decisions we made along the way, trade-offs in
architecture and schema design, etc. but all in all a "success story" on
using HBase to serve a realtime web site.
- Touch on improved scalability.

I will let JD speak for himself, but I believe he was thinking of talking
about Zookeeper and HBase.  We'd then be able to cover the stability and
fault-tolerance improvements made in HBase in this talk.

I think that would cover our bases.

Let me know what you all think.

JG