hbase-user mailing list archives

From schnitzi <mark.schnitz...@fastsearch.com>
Subject Transactions and Map/Reduce
Date Thu, 25 Jun 2009 03:45:16 GMT

I have some scenarios involving map/reduce that update HBase tables.  (They
all involve creating or modifying a number of individual records, so I'm
planning to do it all in the mapper.)

What I'm hoping to do is to only commit at the end of the map/reduce, if it
succeeds.  If I start a TransactionManager transaction in the mapper and
commit it there, in my understanding, it will only guarantee atomicity for
the set of rows that that mapper updates.

Has anyone attempted anything like this before?  Is there a way to do it?

Also, is there any general documentation about transactions in HBase besides
the javadoc and the test cases?  There doesn't seem to be any on the wiki...
I'm muddling through without it but it would be nice to see some.

Cheers
Mark