hbase-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Accessing a 0.20 cluster from outside a firewall
Date Tue, 23 Jun 2009 00:24:28 GMT
Clients talk directly to the regionservers. You'll need to link your clients with the cluster
by way of VPN or similar.

You could also consider static NAT translation for all of the region servers to corresponding
public IP addresses. In that case, additionally you will need to set up DNS on your cluster
to resolve host names to the desired public addresses.

   - Andy

________________________________
From: Amandeep Khurana <amansk@gmail.com>
To: hbase-user@hadoop.apache.org
Sent: Monday, June 22, 2009 4:58:58 PM
Subject: Accessing a 0.20 cluster from outside a firewall

My HBase 0.20 cluster is behind a firewall. When I try to connect to it from
outside, I get the following error:

09/06/22 14:43:24 INFO ipc.HBaseClient: Retrying connect to server: /
10.10.10.106:60020. Already tried 10 time(s).

The ip address there (10.10.10.106) is an internal ip behind the firewall.
Shoudlnt hbase/zk (not sure where this trouble is) be giving back the DNS
name rather than the ip address?

Any pointers on this?

Amandeep

Amandeep Khurana