hbase-user mailing list archives

From "Ryan J. McDonough" <r...@damnhandy.com>
Subject Clarifying the role of HBase Versions
Date Tue, 02 Jun 2009 01:10:16 GMT
I'm trying to get some clarity on the role of versions in HBase. Our
table design is such that a an object can have multiple property
values for a given property name. For example, we could have an
nickname property that a given person is known by. In the current set
up, if a person has 3 nicknames, only the last one gets stored. We
have considered using the column versions as an added data dimension,
but that just doesn't feel quite right. Given that columns have a
limit (granted that it's quite large) as to how many versions it can
store, it's still a limit none the less.

 From what I gather from reading the BigTable doc, is that version
could be considered a form of optimistic locking so that concurrent
writes don't conflict. Is that understanding correct? If not, is using
versions as an added data dimension a good idea?

Ryan-