hbase-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: stargate performance evaluation
Date Tue, 04 Aug 2009 00:25:09 GMT
Hi,

Thanks for the testing and performance report!

You said you used the stargate Client package? It is pretty basic, written mainly for convenience
for writing test cases in the test suite.

Regarding Stargate quality in general, this is an alpha release. It can survive torture testing
with PE it seems. It can handle well formed requests. But, the implementation is untuned.
For example, there is no caching (yet). The code has not yet been profiled also.

I put up an issue for Stargate performance improvement: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-1741

I'm not sure an all-localhost configuration is the best testing scenario. It would be interesting
to see how the performance differs with the client remote from both the regionservers and
the Stargate instance.

  - Andy

________________________________
From: Haijun Cao <haijuncao@ymail.com>
To: hbase-user@hadoop.apache.org
Sent: Monday, August 3, 2009 2:04:16 PM
Subject: stargate performance evaluation

I am evaluating the performance of stargate (which btw, is a
great contrib to hbase, thanks!). The evaluation program is mostly a simple
modification to the existing PerformanceEvaluation program, just replace java
client with stargate client and get value as protobuf.

All of the software (hadoop, zookeeper, hbase, jetty) are
installed on one box. The data set is small, therefore all data are served out
of memory.

For random read test, with java client (the existing PE
program), I can get 19K/s, with stargate client,  I can only get 3-4k/s.
In both case, pe program run with 100 threads. Increasing number of threads
does not seem to help (even hurt the throughput).

I am just wondering if this is expected ( I can’t figure out
in theory why the throughput drop)? Any idea of possible optimization/configuration change
to increase the throughput?

Thanks!

Haijun Cao