hbase-user mailing list archives

From Lars George <l...@worldlingo.com>
Subject Re: Settings
Date Thu, 27 Aug 2009 19:33:02 GMT
Hi Stack,

> I think the required should be in the 'Getting Started' section.
>
> What to do about the other degrees is a little harder.
>
> We could break up hbase-default by degree putting the rarely changed into an
> hbase-arcane.xml?
>
> We could drop options that are never changed or that look useless (if you
> really need to change them, you can find them in the src): e.g.
> hbase.master.meta.thread.rescanfrequency, hbase.regionserver.info.port.auto,
> hbase.regionserver.msginterval, etc.
>
> We could make hbase-client-default.xml and hbase-server-default.xml or
> partition in some other way that made sense.
>
> (I believe you can xinclude or some equivalient files for hadoop
> Configuration)

I would not drop any but them them all listed, but with the additional
notes as to how common they are.

>> This raises another question I wanted to ask. Wouldn't make sense to print
>> out unknown settings as a WARN at startup?
>>

> That'd be nice but we probably ain't that disciplined and perhaps you want
> to pollute your config. with "unknowns"?  (e.g. you are a subclass of hbase
> as are THBase and ITHBase?).  I suppose we could read in the
> hbase-default.xml and any config. not present there would be flagged?  What
> about hadoop configs?  Read in the hadoop hdfs|common|etc|-xml and flag any
> not present there?

Yes, simply load the matching "-default.xml" and diff them. Should leave
only user defined settings, which most people do not use. I do in one
cluster where I define a hostname and use that as a variable in all
places that need to specify an explicit host. Those would be washed out
but that is fine.

If others think this is useful I would have a look at it. But only if
more people are interested.

Lars