hbase-user mailing list archives

From Ryan Rawson <ryano...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hi,can hbase store picture and video such as blob field ? Any other simply question.
Date Mon, 10 Aug 2009 20:20:32 GMT
HBase can help one overcome the 'small file' problem of HDFS.  But
HBase may not be the best methodology once files get beyond a certain
size (that size might be in the 10mb+ area).  However that is no
longer 'small files' and HDFS would be suitable again.

Another aspect to consider is that access for a single row is mediated
by a single regionserver, which means if you have extremely high load
on only a few rows, you might not achieve scalability.  Caching layers
(reverse proxies, cdns) can help solve this. But if you are looking at
a high volume, high performance download server that can handle
millions of clients asking for the same object, you might need to
think a bit more.

-ryan