hbase-user mailing list archives

From satb <satish...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: HBase -- unique constraints
Date Fri, 30 Oct 2009 01:33:56 GMT

>> 2. How should we place constraints? For example, if I have a Users table,
>> and one column is "login_name". How can I ensure that no two people
>> create
>> the same login name? Is there a constraint I can place or something
>> similar?
>>

> It has to be in your application. Nothing in hbase gives this feature
> afaik

In a multi threaded environment, how would two threads know if two users are
creating the same username at the same time for insertion into the database?
It surely doesn't seem like the application can control this behavior except
through some synchronization mechanism (which wouldn't scale very well).

>> 4. For something not possible with HBase today, can I simply use the
>> MapReduce framework that comes with Hadoop over the HBase tables?
>>

> What do you mean? You can surely write MR jobs that talk to HBase but
> thats
> not a workaround to RDBMS kind of stuff. If you need RDBMS kind of
> functionality, maybe HBase is not for you.
>

>> Thanks in advance

I was reading that Streamy.com is running entirely on HBase. So isn't HBase
being promoted as suitable for OLTP type applications?

In short, would an e-commerce website be capable of running entirely on
HBase?