hbase-user mailing list archives

From Tux Racer <tuxrace...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: newbie question on disk usage on node with different disk size
Date Thu, 26 Nov 2009 21:21:30 GMT
Thanks Andrew for your answer.

I may have found the HDFS parameter I was looking for:

dfs.datanode.du.reserved 	0 	Reserved space in bytes per volume. Always
leave this much space free for non dfs use.

http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/current/hdfs-default.html

The book "Pro Hadoop" page 115, also mentions the "balancer" service and
the

dfs.balance.bandwidthPerSec

parameter also documented at:

http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/current/hdfs-default.html

dfs.balance.bandwidthPerSec 	1048576 	Specifies the maximum amount of
bandwidth that each datanode can utilize for the balancing purpose in
term of the number of bytes per second.

however I do not see the script "start-blancer.sh" in hbase.

Would it be possible to use those Hadoop parameters in a hbase setup?

Thanks
TR

Andrew Purtell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Short answer: No.
>
> Longer answer: HBase uses the underlying filesystem (typically HDFS) to replicate and
persist data. This is independent of the key space. Any special block placement policy like
you want would be handled by the filesystem. To my knowledge, HDFS doesn't support it. HDFS
also does not like heterogeneous backing storage at the moment. It causes problems if one
node fills before the others, and there is not yet an automatic mechanism for moving blocks
from full nodes to less utilized ones, though I see there is an issue for that: http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-339
. I wouldn't recommend a setup like you propose.

>    - Andy

how the disk will be filled on each node.