hbase-user mailing list archives

From Tux Racer <tuxrace...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: newbie question on disk usage on node with different disk size
Date Fri, 27 Nov 2009 09:55:56 GMT
Thanks Ryan for your answer.
yes I was mistaken, I also thought that the default install of hbase did
a one node install of HDFS; and it seems that wrong:

a ps auwx|grep java

show only two java processes;

org.apache.hadoop.hbase.zookeeper.HQuorumPeer
and
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.HMaster

In the default hbase distribution we have in

hbase-default.xml

<name>hbase.rootdir</name>
<value>file:///tmp/hbase-${user.name}/hbase</value>

I thought that the dependancy of hbase on HDFS was much stronger. For
the hbase configuration point of view if the hbase.rootdir parameter the
only parameter that hooks hbase to HDFS?
Or does zookeeper also binds hbase to HDFS?
Is it true to say that hbase does play well with HDFS but that it does
play well with any POSIX compliant filesystem too?
For a small cluster, is that a good idea to *not* use HDFS as a storage
for the hbase data?
If I accept to loose one hour of hbase data, is it OK to make
hbase.rootdir point to  local (ext3) file system on the node and then
rsync each hour that directory to another node? I guess that rsync is
not ideal due to the file structure used (will generate a lot of network
traffic)

Thanks in advance,
TR