hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Zhang <zjf...@gmail.com>
Subject What type should I choose ?
Date Mon, 16 Nov 2009 03:05:23 GMT
Hi all,

I know that the value in hbase is just a byte array. So before I put any
type of data, I should convert it to bytes.

But I found that if I convert String to bytes, I can see the real value in
hbase shell, while If I convert long to bytes, I will see byte array in
hbase shell which is not intuitive.

So I'd like to know what's difference between different types if there any
performance problem if I use the string type instead of long type ? (
convert each long into string first and then convert it to bytes).

Thank you.

Jeff Zhang