hbase-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Updated HBASE RPMS
Date Tue, 22 Dec 2009 18:12:36 GMT
Unless you do init.d integration and service dependency -- both of which
is complicated by distro specific details -- then a RPM or DEB is just
basically a tarball in another form. I suppose registering it as a package
has some small benefit for inventory and version tracking of what is
installed on a system. But wouldn't the system obviously be a host for
Hadoop and HBase services?

> Maybe we simply start with a standard based layout and a Cloudera CDH
> layout and add more as needed?

You should look at the Cloudera HBase package. There is a script which
runs at the 'install' step during the build which splits HBase into more
LHS natural locations:

  /etc/hbase-{version}/conf.<foo>
  alternatives symlink /etc/hbase-{version}/conf.bar -> /etc/hbase-{version}
  /usr/lib/hbase-{version}
  /var/run/hbase-{version}
  /var/log/hbase-{version}

  hbase script at /usr/bin with patched paths

  etc.

Do you want to support that?

Also, if we do provide RPMs and DEBs, are we obligated to support users
who encounter the vagaries of RedHat, Fedora, CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu,
Slack, etc. etc. etc. ?

   - Andy