hbase-user mailing list archives

From stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Smaller Region Size?
Date Tue, 22 Dec 2009 20:31:02 GMT
On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 8:57 AM, Mark Vigeant
<mark.vigeant@riskmetrics.com>wrote:

> J-D,
>
> I noticed that performance for uploading data into tables got a lot better
> as I lowered the max file size -- but up until a certain point, where the
> performance began slowing down again.

Tell us more.  What kinda size changes did you make?  How many regions were
created?  Is the slow down because table is splitting all the time?  If you
study regionserver logs, can you make out what the regionservers are
spending their times doing?

> Is there a rule of thumb/formula/notion to rely on when setting this
> parameter for optimal performance? Thanks!

We have most experience running defaults.  Generally folks go up from the
default size because they want to host more data in about same number or
regions.  Going down from the default I've not seen much of.

St.Ack