hbase-user mailing list archives

From Aryeh Berkowitz <ar...@iswcorp.com>
Subject HBase Schema
Date Thu, 17 Dec 2009 13:48:34 GMT
I have a question about schema creation. If my understanding is correct, HBase is a NoSQL database
which according to Wikipedia is "Data stores that may not require fixed table schemas, and
usually avoid join operations." Coming from a relational background, it's challenging to wrap
my mind around it, but I think I understand it. So for example, if I would have a person table
and I want to store information about all the cars that he owns, in a relational database
I would make two tables, a person table and a cars table something like this:
Person Table
ID

Name

Address

1

Frank

1234 Main St.

Cars Table
Person_ID

Year

Make

Model

1

2001

Toyota

Camry

1

2004

Mazda

Protégé

1

2003

Nissan

Sentra

In HBase I'm thinking to put everything on one row in one table since it's possible to create
columns on the fly:

Person & Cars
Person Family

Cars Family

Name

Address

Car1:Year

Car1:Make

Car1:Model

Car2:Year

Car2:Make

Car2:Model

Car3:Year

Car3:Make

Car3:Model

Frank

1234 Main St.

2001

Toyota

Camry

2004

Mazda

Protégé

2003

Nissan

Sentra

It seems a little harder for the programmers though to work with this type of model. Am I
on the right track? I would be very interested to hear your thoughts on this matter.

Thanks!