hbase-user mailing list archives

From TuX RaceR <tuxrace...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Setting up Secondary Indexing...
Date Fri, 23 Apr 2010 18:15:23 GMT
Hello Users,

I ran into the same problem!
For those who wonder why that exception was output (at least in my case):
I had done a 'cut and paste' of the configuration code at

http://rajeev1982.blogspot.com/2009/06/secondary-indexes-in-hbase.html

<property>
        <name>hbase.regionserver.class</name>
        <value>org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.IndexedRegionInterface</value>
    </property>

    <property>
        <name>hbase.regionserver.impl</name>
        <value>

org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.tableindexed.IndexedRegionServer
        </value>
    </property>

and in fact the formatting was *poor*: there are spaces (newlines)
between the class name and <value> tags!!!!!
Removing those spaces fixed the issue for me.

So to setup THbase is is just a matter of (server side):
1) Add the following jar to HBASE_CLASSPATH in
$HBASE_HOME/conf/hbase-env.sh and restart hbase.

$HBASE_HOME/contrib/transactional/hbase-0.20.3-transactional.jar 2)
Modify hbase-site.xml with:

---------------------------
<property>
    <name>hbase.regionserver.class</name>
    <value>org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.IndexedRegionInterface</value>
</property>
<property>
    <name>hbase.regionserver.impl</name>
    <value>org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.tableindexed.IndexedRegionServer</value>
</property>
---------------------------
http://github.com/pambrose/HBql/blob/d7aa8e4c7fb9122e163e77bc7d4cc655bd6040f3/src/site/apt/installation.apt

explains that clearly too. Cheers TuX

Bluemetrix Development wrote:
> Hi,
> Check your steps against these here:
> http://rajeev1982.blogspot.com/2009/06/secondary-indexes-in-hbase.html
> Thanks
>

> On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 4:54 PM, Michael Segel
> <michael_segel@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Ok, so I posted this to the wrong list. (Hadoop vs HBase) So I apologize for any
duplication...

>> Here's the skinny.
>>
>> I've got secondary indexes up and running on our Sandbox machines running Cloudera's
earlier release that had hbase-0.20.0.
>> We're creating a development cluster using Cloudera's latest release which includes
hbase-0.20.3

>> So I've gone in and added the two entries in to hbase-site.xml.
>> Edited hbase-env.sh
>> To set up the HBASE_SHELL=/usr/lib/hbase-0.20/contrib/transactional/hbase-0.20.3-1.cloudera-transactional.jar
(rather than just the directory)

>> When I start hadoop, no problem. When starting hbase with the secondary indexing.
I get the error:
>> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
>>    org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.tableindexed.IndexedRegionServer
>>
>>        at org.apache.hadoop.conf.Configuration.getClass(Configuration.java:808)
>>        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer.main(HRegionServer.java:2496)
>>    org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.tableindexed.IndexedRegionServer
>>
>> I've tried this with HBASE_SHELL=/usr/lib/hbase-0.20/contrib/transcational , same
error.

>> I've even gone as far to put an echo statement in the hbase-env.sh to echo back the
shell environment's value.
>> (You can see it from stdout on the name node, plus also in the hbase-hadoop-regionserver-<machinename>.out
log file too.

>> I know I'm missing something in the configuration.
>>
>> So what are the obvious things I overlooked?
>>
>> Also on the sandbox I put a copy of my hdfs-site.xml in my /etc/hbase-0.20/conf directory.
I can't seem to find out in my notes why I did this.