hbase-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: REST/Stargate Performance
Date Tue, 20 Apr 2010 21:54:02 GMT
This is the way it is with REST. You have HTTP transaction overheads for each access to a (path
specified) resource. Multiple clients and Stargate instances will help. REST/WS is best suited
for the case where you will have thousands of concurrent clients making fairly infrequent
requests along the order of what you mention below, not a few clients making a large number
of requests.

For the latter case, using a streaming interface like Thrift, or you can consider using (or
helping to build) the new Avro based connector described in HBASE-2400.

Also, I can get several hundred reads per second using scanners and batching, and I can do
several hundred puts per second using Stargate's multi-put capability. Neither scanners nor
multi-put are all that REST-ful.

I recently profiled Stargate with jprofiler. The Jersey JAX-RS framework adds a bit of overhead,
URL path parsing and the like, but it was on the order of a few percent only. The bulk of
the time is spent handling client I/O or I/O to/from the region servers, which is as it should
be.

and use case.

   - Andy