hbase-user mailing list archives

From Pat Mao <dr...@hotmail.com>
Subject REST/Stargate Performance
Date Tue, 20 Apr 2010 21:42:08 GMT

Hi,

I'm having performance issues with the Stargate RESTful web service.  I need to use multiple
languages to communicate with HBase and prefer to use REST over Thrift.  But when using Stargate,
I'm getting somewhere along the lines of 20-50 reads per second (single threaded test), which
is MUCH worse than using the Java API (~2k) or even Thrift (~1k).  I know that Stargate will
be the slowest, but I was wondering if this is the type of performance I should be expecting
or if I'm doing something wrong.  We even tried writing our own Java web service and got similarly
poor results.  Also, we're using HBase 0.20.3 with compressed tables.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Pat