hbase-user mailing list archives

From Michael Segel <michael_se...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Cloudera desktop
Date Fri, 09 Apr 2010 02:33:39 GMT

> Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 16:56:31 -0700
> Subject: Re: Cloudera desktop
> From: ryanobjc@gmail.com
> To: hbase-user@hadoop.apache.org
>
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm not aware of any support of HBase in Cloudera desktop.  However if
> someone wished to add HBase support, I would generally support such a
> notion. As engineers used to editing horrific things like build.xml
> and using command line tools, we can often underestimate the value of
> a good UI.

Currently Cloudera's Desktop doesn't support HBase. But we've had discussions with them on
this.
Actually there aren't any really good HBase tools out there.

I think that this will be addressed over the next couple of months.

With respect to Cloudera's desktop, it does some things ok, some things not so good.
(Using the web interfaces that come w Hadoop are sometimes easier to work with.)

But its free, so you can't really complain.

With respect to Python... you also have Ruby when you want to look at HBase.
Both are ok, but do you want a web based gui or do you want a Java app, or something else?

HTH