hbase-user mailing list archives

From Michael Segel <michael_se...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Cloudera desktop
Date Fri, 09 Apr 2010 17:34:30 GMT

> Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 09:12:57 -0700
> From: kat.herding@gmail.com
> To: hbase-user@hadoop.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Cloudera desktop
>

> All,
>
> Thanks for your feedback!
>
> Russ,
>
> You brought up the point that was on my mind re: hardware failures.
>
> What are your experiences on that front?
> How often did they occur? Where they predictable?
>
> Hadoop handles it but what kind of performance hits did you see?
>
> Jim

Jim,

Hadoop doesn't really 'handle it'. I mean the cloud stays up if there's a hardware problem
to everything since the name node, but with respect to Cloudera's desktop, it doesn't. Not
unless you want to put in a Nagios plug in...

Most of the hardware fails occur early on when you get a new box. Then you have disk failures...
Unless you have a power problem and get your boxes fried. (Or something like that.)

HTH

-Mike