hbase-user mailing list archives

From Onur AKTAS <onur.ak...@live.com>
Subject Beginner question about querying records
Date Sun, 04 Apr 2010 02:59:38 GMT

Hi all,
I'm thinking of to switch from RDBMS to No-SQL database, but having lots of unanswered questions
in my mind.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, is Hbase not suitable for small environments? Like if we have
1 million records with no cluster or maybe 2 machines, is it not required?
As far as I know, Hbase does not support querying, but having Pig to perform SQL like queries.
It is multi dimensional hashmap distributed across the network to be accessed fast by key.
So if we need to query something then we need to index it by ourselves.
1) If we have a user list, and a potential "Give me all people above/beyond age 30" query,
then do we need to create an index from the beginning of the first data as:
above_30_list : value: [ A, B, C ]beyond_30_list :value: [ X, Y, Z ]   ?
2) What if we need just people at age 45. Then do we need to get all above_30 and scan each
of them one by one?
3) If we need so many various queries, then should we create such keys as I wrote above for
all potential queries? And entering the data to all that indexes when inserting.
4) Parallelizing across clusters to share scanning is what HBase or Map Reduce technique does
to solve this issue?
In short words, I'm willing to switch Hbase for my applications, and wondering how can I do
all these kind of operations in HBase with better performance than I do in RDBMSs.
Thanks so much.

Yeni Windows 7: Size en uygun bilgisayarı bulun. Daha fazla bilgi edinin.
http://windows.microsoft.com/shop