hbase-user mailing list archives

From Aaron McCurry <amccu...@gmail.com>
Subject Looking for advise on Hbase setup
Date Sun, 25 Apr 2010 18:09:18 GMT
I have been fan of hbase for awhile, but until now I haven't had any extra
hardware to setup and run an instance.  Now I'm trying to decide what would
be the most ideal setup.

I have a 64 node hadoop/hive setup, each node has dual quad core processors
with 32 Gig of ram and 4 T of storage.  Now my options are, to run a 64 way
hbase setup on those nodes, or possible run hbase on a separate set of
machines up to 16 nodes of the same type, but they would only be used for
hbase.  I'm leaning toward running hbase on the 64 way cluster with hadoop,
because I'm going to be using hbase in some map reduce jobs and for the
size.

What I'm planning on doing with the cluster:

   - Migrate some large berkeley dbs to hbase (15 - 20 billion records)
   - Mix some live data from hbase with some batch processing in hive (small
   amount of data)
   - Build a large graph db on top of hbase (size unknown, billions at
   least)
   - Probably a lot more things as time goes along

Thoughts and opinions welcome.  Thanks!

Aaron